Friday, July 2, 2010

Oh yeah. You. I Forgot About You.

Yeah yeah yeah ... I haven't forgotten about you. I've just been busy ... BUSY LISTENING TO NEW TUNES!!!

I've heard so much new stuff lately that has just blown my little mind. Unfortunately, there's so much that I haven't been able to retain it all. I would hear a song and be like "I've got to put that on that blog thing I started a few weeks ago!" but then forget about it.

Hopefully I'll remember some of it as time goes on. In the meantime, here's a hodgepodge of tunes that have been rocking my boat (but not tipping the boat over) lately.

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY'S First Breath After Coma

This is an example of "post-rock", a genre I'm kind of getting into this summer. It's music that slowly builds momentum with its instruments until finally bursting into a beautiful crescendo. I guess you could sit and study it if you wanted to, but I prefer to have it playing while I'm doing mindless chores and use it as a soundtrack to monotonous repetitions.


LCD SOUNDSYSTEM'S Dance Yrself Clean

I've been trying to get into LCD Soundsystem for a few years now and never really "getting" it. This is the closest I've come to understanding the appeal. I've found myself wandering around humming "Present company excepted, present company excepted" quite a bit lately.

THE BAMBOOS' Turn It Up

So you wanna go out to a sweaty, smoky funky club where you're the hippest dancer on the floor?? Don't. You'll get killed in a place like that. Instead, click this link above and listen to the finest import Australia has given us since AC/DC while dancing the funky chicken in your home. It's safer, you can dance to your heart's content and the parking is better.

TENNIS' Marathon

I heard this song on the radio last night ... Tennis is a little husband-wife duo out of Denver and I just dig the retro 60s Petula Clark vibe that it wears on its sleeve.

MATES OF STATE'S Laura

This song makes me want to hug it. It's such a wonderful, light, pop song that sounds great on a summer day. I think you'll like the band so much you'll want to hear another of their songs so I added ...

MATES OF STATE'S Second Hand News

A remake of the old Fleetwood Mac song. How two people can manage to pull off sounding so much like the actual band blows me away!

HEALTH'S Die Slow (Tobacco Remix)

The jury's still a little out on this one. I like it, but don't know if I love it. Time will tell.

!!!'S Me & Giuliani Down By The Schoolyard

The name of the band is pronounced "chick-chick-chick". This is a spacey dance jam that I love to lose myself in for nine plus minutes. Awesome stuff!

2 comments:

  1. You like the post-rock scene and also like Broken Social Scene, so have you looked into Stars? 3/5's of the band was in BSS and their instrumentals and story-like songs are amazing. Download "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead" right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already got it! I love Stars and their new one is excellent, got it from Emusic.

    ReplyDelete