Monday, May 17, 2010

Hey Kids! Let's Break Some Hearts!!

Nothing can quite match a song written for the brokenhearted. Here's some obvious and not-so-obvious heartbreaking songs.

WILCO'S "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"

On first listen, this song is nothing but noise. Then around the 3:55 point, it all falls together to make sense. That lasts about a minute, then it goes back to an odd chaos. Kind of like the end of a relationship. I don't know. I'm trying to be cool here and failing miserably. I just like the song and it inspired this blog entry.

ROY ORBISON & K.D. LANG'S "Crying"

Roy Orbison could break a heart ... just by looking at him !!! (rim shot) This song is one of his most famous heartbreaking songs and k.d. lang really helps kick it up a notch.

THE CONNELLS' "'74-'75"

High school romances seem so real ... until you get to college (Can I get an amen?).

BARENAKED LADIES' "Break Your Heart (Live)"

I'll admit it ... this song made me tear up the first time I heard it. Such a well-written song about wanting to end a relationship but not wanting to hurt the other's feelings in the process.

ELBOW'S "Grounds For Divorce"

I have no idea if this song is really about divorce or not. I just like it and needed 10 songs to fill the playlist up. Sue me.

GEORGE JONES' "He Stopped Loving Her Today"

I guess I always thought this song was about heartbreak but it really isn't. It took me years to find out what the song meant. Seriously. The answer is all right there in the title and first line ... "He said I'll love you 'til I die" ... "He stopped loving her today". THE OLD MAN DIES. Jeez. I feel like such an idiot for not figuring it out sooner.

ROBIN ZANDER'S "Time Will Let You Know"
Robin's the lead singer from Cheap Trick and this is the only song I liked off his solo album decades ago. It's got a beautiful melody. Not sure if it qualifies as heartbreaking though.

ROD STEWART'S "Smitten"
I haven't heard this song in years and years. Found it tonight in a folder full of mp3s that I don't use much. I hope it breaks your heart. Can't say I really care though. Wow. I'm feeling pretty froggy tonight.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & MELISSA ETHERIDGE'S "Thunder Road (Live)"
Okay ... I know for a fact this isn't a song about breaking someone's heart or having one's heart broken. Still ... the lyrics break my heart. A guy who just wants more out of life than being stuck in a dead-end town is begging a girl who's looking for the same thing to get in the car with him to escape this "town full of losers". The song isn't the best quality but I really like this version.

THE ROLLING STONES' "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)"
FINALLY!! A song that I know is about a heartbreaker for a playlist about broken hearts.

Oh man. I forgot all about Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker".

No comments:

Post a Comment