Thursday, May 13, 2010

Plenty of Rhyme ... Very Little Reason

There's no real "theme" behind these next 10 songs other than I love each of them for their own little reasons.

Moby and Public Enemy's "Make Love F*** War"

...Ummm ... obviously Parental Discretion advised. This is complete chaos with a beat.

Beck's "Timebomb"

Beck doesn't get enough credit for his melodies.

Brandi Carlile's "Dreams"

Brandi rocks out.

The Charms' "Gimme That Shot"

I went through a small "Garage Rock" phase last year and this is one of my favorites that I found.

William Shatner's "Common People"

One of my favorite songs. Yes, Shatner's "music" has always been considered a joke and even he knows it. But this song ... with the help of Joe "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" Jackson and Ben Folds ... furiously rocks. A cover of a Pulp song, Shatner meets a hoity-toity woman in a bar who wants to live like the "common people". Bill tries to school her on the finer points of common life but I don't think it works out for him. I don't know because by the end of the song, I'm always thrashing around like a chicken with its head cut off, jamming to the frenzied beat.

The Airborne Toxic Event's "Sometime Around Midnight"

Yet another "woman in a bar" song. This one is about seeing an ex in a bar (sometime around midnight), realizing that you're not quite over this person, and then making an idiot of yourself.

The Hold Steady's "Killer Parties"

The Hold Steady are my favorite band and this is my favorite song of theirs. I could go on and on for days about this song but the lyrics aren't going to make much sense to you because they use the same characters in most all of their songs. "Charlemagne" is a pimp, I can tell you that much. If you're interested, let me know and I'll tell you a whole lot more.

My Morning Jacket's "Dondante"

One thing this playlist may tell you about me ... I LOVE songs that start off slow and work their way into a crescendo. This song does it, "Sometime Around Midnight" does it, as does "Dreams" and to an extent "Common People". I really like how the lead singer here, Jim James, struggles to sing in falsetto. To the best of my knowledge, the lyrics touch on a friend that has died.

The Undertakers' "Just A Little Bit"

Another leftover from my "garage rock" phase. This song should make you shake your booty. If it doesn't, then you have no booty left to shake.

Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane (Live)"

From his classic live album "Rock 'n' Roll Animal", Lou takes one of the most popular guitar riffs of all time and shreds it. The fact that it takes 3-4 minutes before he cranks it into gear adds to the anticipation so that when it finally erupts, the audience rejoices.

No comments:

Post a Comment